Thursday, July 15, 2010

Wow, Mburger in Chicago Hits It

Before Mburger opened I received a few emails from its creator asking me to come check it out. I found myself in Chicago last week and thought I'd give it a shot. Only open for a few months I figured the place would still be struggling trying to find customers. Man was I wrong.

Mburger is on Huron a half-block off North Michigan surrounded by arguably the Midwest's most expensive real estate. The Apple Store, Brooks Brothers, and Tiffany are all just a few steps away and there are tourists everywhere. How could a tiny burger joint survive here?

I got my answer as I approached the miniscule burger joint - a line snaked out the door of Mburger and up the sidewalk, easily 40 people were waiting and it was barley 12:15. The line moved super-fast and was made up mostly of locals looking for greasy nourishment on their lunch break. I snuck in and found Chef Tim Hockett who brought me a burger and a shake to sample.


There are 2 reasons why there is a line out the door of Mburger: 1- there is no room inside, and 2- the burger is ridiculously good. The double Mburger is loosely based on an In-N-Out double-double and made with fresh-ground beef pattied in-house. So good.

Tim explained that the name is shortened to 'Mburger' because the place is so small that the 'Ha' wouldn't fit. They installed a few mirrors in the place to make it seem bigger but he told me regardless when three players from the Chicago Bears stopped in recently they took up the entire space. Tim admitted that he used my book for reference and that made me feel good. I'll be back for more in August and have been told I have to try the off-menu item, the Hurt Burger. No idea what it is but will find out soonly.